The slides of the presentation I gave in November at the West of England section meeting of the Permanent Way Institution:
The main topics presented:
– Cant parameters definition. The origin of the 11.82 (UK) cant constant. Ways of applying cant.
– Track geometry recording. Track Quality Standard deviation. Inherent standard deviation. Quality bands for low and high speed.
– The advantage of using rolling SDs in the design process.
– Cant over a reverse transition – the orphan rule of lifting the reversing point to improve the quality of riding.
– Designing a sudden change in curvature. Virtual transition definition and usage according to the Track Design Handbook TRK/2049. The rules of the European Norm for track geometry EN 13803-1&2
– The significance of the transition shift.